Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Chicken Parmesan Meatloaf

It's been a little while since our last few blog posts, my apologies! We're only just getting used to this whole blogging thing.
Anyways, I figured why not give you a view into my day to day food world, the week day meal.



As you'll come to learn, I'm personally not a serious beef eating type of girl. Don't get me wrong, I will devour a delicious burger or steak in no time, but for weird personal reasons (like health and the environment, mostly) I don't like to buy and consume a lot of beef. I do, on the other hand buy and prepare a lot of chicken and turkey. I'm always searching around for the perfect turkey or chicken meat loaf recipe (the ultimate in easy throw-together-in-10 minutes type of lazy week day meal) so when I came across this little gem of a recipe I could not wait to try it.
I must say, hands down, best - meatloaf - of - all - time! I even think it's better than real chicken parmesan, if that's possible!



So why don't we get right down to it then..

First of all, I must give credit where credit is due! This recipe is courtesy of Joelen from Chicago of the 'What's Cookin, Chicago?' Blogspot. (Find her at www.joelens.blogspot.com).


The recipe:


First you put 1 lb of ground chicken (or turkey) in a large bowl.



Then add one whole egg and 1/4 cup of breadcrumbs (I use the Italian seasoned breadcrumbs for extra Italy flavour).


Then add your seasonings: 1/2 tsp dried basil, 1/2 tsp dried thyme, 1/2 tsp dried oregano, 1-2 cloves of minced garlic (I'm a garlic girl so it's more like 3-4 cloves for me!), one small minced onion, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp ground pepper. 
If you have one of those fancy pre-mixed 'Italian Seasoning' shakers then you can use that instead of the basil, thyme and oregano (add 1-1/2 tsp). 

Then the yummy part.. the cheese! Add 1/2 cup of grated parmesan cheese


Now that you have this lovely mound of flavour in your bowl, all you need to do is mix! I find a fork works best. 


Once you've mixed to perfection, stuff it all in a greased regular sized loaf pan. 
Then top the meatloaf with your favourite pasta sauce (I've also found Marinara to be delicious). 


And voila! Your work is complete. 

Now place meatloaf in a 350 degree oven uncovered for 45 minutes. Remove from oven and cover in grated cheese, return to oven until cheese is melt-y perfection. Remove and let sit for 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with fresh parsley or basil if you desire. 

(photo courtesy of Joelen, What's Cookin, Chicago? blog)


What I love about this too is that it is easily freezable. Just seal and pop it in the freezer once you've assembled it. Cook from frozen (for 55-60 mins instead of 45).

YUM! Hope all of you who try it love it as much as me! Meatloaf will never be the same for me, that's for sure.

Here's the full recipe:
Chicken Parmesan Meatloaf
original Joelen recipe

1 lb ground chicken (ground turkey can be substituted)
1 egg
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1-2 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 small onion, grated
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup pasta sauce (homemade or store bought)
1/2 cup shredded Italian cheese blend
minced parsley for garnish

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a loaf pan with cooking spray, set aside.
In a large bowl, combine the ground chicken, egg, breadcrumbs, thyme, oregano, basil, garlic, onion, salt, pepper and Parmesan cheese. To not over handle the mixture otherwise it will get tough. Place the mixture in the greased loaf pan and form into a loaf. Top the meatloaf with pasta sauce.


Talk soon, 
Anna xo

No comments:

Post a Comment